Tuesday, July 28, 2026

July Digest #8

 Master of Command

Tried once more to complete a campaign in Colonel mode. Got a few breaks to begin with (firstly chose the Hannover theatre which gave me a steady supply of reinforcements every time I visited a local town). And I was able to upgrade specific units fairly quickly. 

Then faced off against the enemy HQ army which had more infantry and artillery than I (5 and 4 versus 5 and 2). But I was compensated by having greater cavalry than my opponent (my 4 to his 2). 

But first I took on a few encampment enemy armies (with slightly higher numbers) to sort my tactics out. The first image is of the final battle but then next one down is of the preceding battle against an encampment army.
























My final army consisted of four brigades - one of artillery, one of cavalry, and two mixed infantry (one fusilier and grenadiers and one infantry including a British Foot auxiliary). Made sure my artillery batteries had gabions to provide some cover as I deployed them in the open for the final battle. 














Next level now is General mode. Should be interesting. 























Stats for this campaign/battle














Points of note: This campaign was fought against the French in Hannover. Of the various units opposing mine, I found the Irish Grenadiers and the Diesbach Fusiliers to be consistently very good units. Had to stack the attacking units in my favour (usually cavalry supported by infantry or double cavalry assaults) to even have a chance against either unit.

The enemy Hussars need to be shattered to fully defeat them. Otherwise they will employ hit-and-run attacks against your men which can be annoying and wears your unit down pretty fast.

Using the quartermaster items (like tobacco and coffee) initially helps until you get better quality items like sword bayonet hangers, quality saddles, gaiters/knee-high boots, greatcoats, blanket rolls, and so on.   

Artillery benefit from gabions and chevau-de-frise which provide cover and some degree of protection so when they appear for purchase, grab them.

Horse for cavalry. Light cavalry benefit from Steppe/Polish horse because they are both swift and tireless. Holsteins and one other (name eludes me) are steady and reliable and suitable for dragoons while cuirassiers ride the dark black horses (Friesans?) because they're solid but slow. Of course, specific saddles and blades accompany these different cavalry branches. The higher quality the blade the better in a melee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.