World of Warships
NA account (Tue/Wed)
Worked out I can earn two of the Holiday Convoy token ships - Bismarck '41 and Messina - and still exchange tokens for three Updates. Or 9,000 doubloons in total. It means skipping the last Update (January 2027).
Dallas and Pensacola play different. Not better or worse, just different. Slower reload on the heavy cruiser while her guns also are slow to turn than the light cruiser. Both are made of explodium though so angling right is critical if fight close-in. Or else keep your distance and rely on your gunpower (such as it is). Just don't yolo in unless you have support, like I found out a couple of times when I found myself on my own in a gunfight with a knife.
Cervantes can do damage to light cruisers with her AP. Against enemy destroyers however, I just wish she had HP as well. But that's asking much too much at Tier 6 level for a DD.
SEA account (Wed)
Short and sweet five-ship Holiday Convoy tokens grind. In and out. Not keen on playing today.
==========================
NA Account (Wed/Thu)
Notable for two things:
(1) I reached fifty ships in my port fleet by adding three Tier 1s from Germany, Italy, Pan-Asia. Germany, because I've always liked the German tech tree line. Italy, because I got the Tier 10 premium (see below). Pan-Asia, because I scored an Event captain from one of the Three Kingdoms crates.
(2) Received the reward of a Tier 10 premium Tempesta Nera, the R. Lauria clone, from one of two Black Daruma crates. Today saw the return of the eighteen bundle set. This comes with mixed reward crates and various resources. Got nearly all bar three of the set. Will grab them next week. Was expecting a low tiered premium but this ship will do nicely.
The session was long enough - mainly to grab as much coal loot crates as I can. Had a shitty game or three while doing the grind though. Got into situations when I shouldn't have, and got punished. Slow take off speed and slow turret rotation were my downfall.
I am getting better at getting citadels consistently as well as one-shotting cruisers. Which is some degree of compensation for being caught with my pants down by enemy ships and/or making dumb mistakes like not watching where I'm travelling or getting stuck against an island.
SEA Account (Thu)
Knowing what's coming next after playing on NA server can be useful. Went straight to the 18 bundle set upon logging in and grabbed several bundles. Got useful resources but sadly no ship.
Then I ran Marcilio Dias, Perth, Numancia. To fulfil my planned Commander Upskill grind, to obtain the max coal loot crates, and complete the Mid-Autumn common missions.
Perth has a long-time crawling smoke which is useful you're being focus-fired upon by several or if stationary longer than half a minute. I do like this ship although I've never played it much. It has single-firing torps as well as firing in a set which can be tough to master but a handy skill to have.
You have hydro, AP and HP so you're able to take on both destroyers and other cruisers. And like Marcilio Dias, which I prefer to play aggressively, she's capable of taking on bigger ships, but you do have to pick your approach carefully and know where to aim.
Numancia is an improvement on Perth insofar as it has double sets of torps on either side. But you lose the single torp salvo. But you get good coverage both sides. Its guns are ok but nothing to write home about. Smoke and hydro round out its consumables of worth. Just needs a 21 pt captain. Lol.
==========================
From The Past
Wife got a family photo album book today from her brother. In it was a photo of an uncle who served aboard the Perth. He was meant to serve on another vessel but got a last-minute transfer to Perth. The cruiser was sunk in the Battle of Sunda Strait on 1 March 1942. And he was one of those killed.
The thing that sticks with me is, according to my wife who learned of this from letters he sent home to his mum at the time of the Sydney sinking (19 Nov 1941) that he was glad he wasn't on that ship.
He was a merchantman and joined up when war was declared.
==========================
Warhammer 40K
Enjoyed a story earlier tonight (Wed) about an Imperium Explorator vessel encountering an unknown vessel from the void beyond the Eastern Rim. And the subsequent actions resulting from this encounter. I won't spoil it but I believe there is a comic of this tale.
Yes, it's an AI retelling but it had me engaged nonetheless.
The great appeal was that it offered a different outlook to the grimdark universe of 40K than the usual "there is only war" mantra.
It went beyond the wars, the hive worlds, the Martian Omnissiah, the Lords of Terra. And it involved the God Emperor himself. And his connection to all of it was inevitable but still a surprise when it was revealed.
The scope of the story is grand scale for me, and I like that. It present that there is a much greater threat to the Imperium and humanity as a whole, more so than the Tyranids or the Necrons. Or even the Orks. And if humanity is to survive, they have to put aside their differences and animosity and come together to defeat the Watchers.
==========================
Animated shorts
Was rewatching the first animated episode from MechWest while waiting to log onto the NA server when I was reminded that mechanical robots existed in servitude to their human masters, performing mundane and menial tasks. And yet the humans weren't any better off. Dunno why but I made the jump between the series name and Mexican/Mex-Americans. After that realisation hit me, I lost any further interest in rewatching this series.
Moved on to Kade Voss, another sci-fi futuristic series that is inspired by the human Old Wild West. Kade's a bounty hunter. A successful one so it seems. Reminded me immediately of Bobo Fett which his helmeted visage and menacing resolve. And skill. I believe there's four episodes so far. Studio does other animation but this one caught my eye.
It reminded me of another Old West inspired sci-fi setting but with anthropomorphic characters with bug eyes and equally bizarre habits. I found it fascinating. Bounty hunters collecting bounty on other bounty hunters. Anyone who had a wanted poster out on them. You never knew who was next. Hilarious.
Then there is this animation which does historicals but in an appealing animation style. Liked it so much that I have subscribed. I like that this animator deals with the obvious questions and clues by presenting as much facts and clues as possible without any real summation. Doubt if it adds new light to the story but I like its presentation. There are other stories but I enjoyed determining the ultimate fate of the Roman legionnaire survivors from the Battle of Carrhae (53 BC).
==========================
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.