Sunday, November 26, 2023

Review of the 2023 Pine Rivers Model Train & Hobby Exhibition

A two-day event. Went to the last day. Parking no problem. Amenities. Canteen.  



Event held at the South Pine Sports Complex, Cribb Road, Brendale, QLD 4500. Initially I wasn't planning on attending as I was up most of last night and only went to bed around 5 am. But after a few hours kip, I went anyway. Glad I did. Met and chatted with several interesting people such as the lovely Kiwi lady from back home but living in the Gold Coast who was selling hobby tools. The display owners/creators proudly explained their works to me and answered a noob's simple questioning. 

I honestly marvel at the quality and skill of their works. For instance, the Walloon display (below) is an actual depiction of a real station from 1985. The group took photos of the place at the time and they built it from those photos. The elderly gent who explained the display drew up the buildings and others scratch-built them.



Got know the scales in my casual stroll and was able to quickly recognise them like the smaller N scale as opposed to the HO scale. 

 

There were several interesting displays that caught my eye such as the working ski gondolas and cable cars.


I learned that nearly all the models are available locally. But they can be expensive such as the steam engine for the Banff Canadian Rockies train display (below photo) which cost much much more than the standard diesel locomotive which cost only a couple hundred! All up, so he told me, he'd spent over sixty thousand dollars on his "passion".

Old and young showcased today. This young lad made this display.

 

One display raised a chuckle. It's of Nothing, Arizona. An actual location so I was informed by the drowsy owner.

 


There was even a Leggo train and scenic display...

Several trade stands operated with the usual paraphenalia associated with trains and the hobby in general. 

But the highlight for me has to be meeting up with Bruce, Don, Daniel and one other as I was about to leave. They are a local garage gamer group based locally and they were tabling a Lion Rampant pairs exhibtion game in 20mm. Of course they were using the latest LR ruleset (version 2).



The gents play historical (mostly) in 20mm. Hoping to join their company and engage in some casual gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment