Tuesday, January 16, 2024

16 January 2024: ACW - Refighting the Red River campaign as a solo game

Having settled on an ACW historical campaign to recreate on the solo gaming table some months back, I was stuck on what suitable ruleset to use. Wasn't sure at first so left it for a while. Having for so long settled with using first Donald Featherstone's basic set found in War Games (1962) and then Airfix Magazine Guide 24: American Civil War Wargaming by Terence Wise (1977), I never really bothered with other - often more popular - ACW rulesets. 

But good fortune would lead me today to Mr. Graham L. Empson's brief yet interesting solo wargames ruleset. Over fifty year's worth of playing experience went into their development so that's more than good enough for me. The rules caters to both historical and imaginary scenarios. So, using it to run the Red River campaign of 1864 just seems ideal. 

It was a conversation with one of the lads at last Saturday's Napoleonic game that reignited my interest in regaming the ACW period which, to be honest, I seriously thought I was done with. At least I had no intention of ever replaying it again. However, and this is the sole reason for reigniting interest, is that it allows me to finally finish off the minis properly as part of my grander 2024 Makeover Project.

What I've read of Mr Empson's rules thus far is proving both interesting and appealing. It is much more than the usual beer-and-pretzel type of game so flavoured these days. It should be, it's written by a solo wargamer. It looks well researched judging by details such as geographical locations and terrain types. There are loads of other complexities that will appeal to those who find such detailing equally essential to playability. The rules addresses that major bias that always arises in any solo game pretty well, so I reckon. Which therefore leave me eager to run a few games very soon. If only to playtest the rule mechanics.

Cheers.
================================
Addendum
The "ruleset" are basically a set of tables allowing one to customise armies for both sides rather than a full set of rules (scales, base sizes, etc) as originally thought. So you get unit type, quantity, classification, commander profiles. The author however gives enough with his tables  though to "fill out" one's ambitions for the game. The rest are basically minor details which any solo wargamer can generate without too much effort.


================================

No comments:

Post a Comment