Friday, April 5, 2024

5 April 2024: Borodino Refight review (a light-hearted look back)

Initial Planning (Alright, who pushed me outa the plane?!)

Factors to consider are briefly outlined below. There are others I have ignored or forgotten as I have moved on to other projects on my "workbench". One word of caution: if anyone is considering a large-scale historical refight solo, DON'T. I say this because this is no lightweight activity. It's a challenge that's worth the while but fraught with perils you cannot imagine without first of all having the courage to undertake it. And the determination.

Venue (Beer or Port?)

I had always figured to use my back decking area once I sorted out the proposed dimensions when scaling down the actual ground of the battlefield to a suitable tabletop size (the rules you choose will heavily factor into this calculation). Its pluses included a well ventilated scenic setting that was under cover. The space could easily accommodate a custom-sized table. The negatives were largely elemental, exposure to the outdoor elements - wind, rain, night and day creatures - and an irritable wife.

Objectives (for those king of the hill moments)

I had no clear idea what the game objectives would be. Studied a few existing archives sources for both ideas and clues but nothing registered mentally although they were very good and successful in their games. But as this was a solo attempt and I was using a ruleset that did not fully cater to large-scale army group battles, I was going in blind and had to conjure up some sort of magical ideal.  

By the time of the game started I opted for tying in significant historical moments, coupled with adopted time schedule, into a basic simplified system of victory objectives. As the game progressed below that of snail pace however I soon became dissatisfied with this setup. Plus the constant revisions to the system proved to me, on reflection post-refight, that I was not completely sold with what I had created in the first instance. 

In the end, as the game wore on into months of inaction followed by a couple of days of wearing gaming, I binned the modified systems (there were more than one attempt) and substitued with a new one (the Game Victory Points system) drummed up in one minute of inspired navel-gazing. And it appeared at a most opportune time. One gets lucky sometimes. 

I also needed my mancave back because the spiders were building condominiums on the bookshelves and about to install an interconnected high speed transit system!

Terrain (Don't think about storage afterwards)

Salient features like the 3 fleches (a 4th was near the ruined village), the redoubt (nothing Grand about a killing field), the Borodino church, the bridges over the Kolocha, and others - need constructing if only to give the whole spectacle a visual confirmation and reference point for anyone interested. This all takes time unless you already possess the terrain pieces or are handy with a modelling tool and possess the necessary skill to construct these items scratchbuilt. My attempts have been barely-basic but more than adequate for my needs.  

Archiving (Penmanship or Photos?)

There were moments - months actually - where nothing happened with the game. Even though I left the game setup in my mancave, it takes time to get back into that game mood after a period of non-playing. That's where keeping records proves itself most useful. But it DOES take a few minutes to get your game mind active again so be mindful of this. Hopefully your record writing skills are legible enough. Photos indeed say it well so that tool was heavily used throughout as the numerous batrep post attest. 

Getting Others Involved (not your partner though)

I tried to entice my regular gaming buddy who was initially enthusiastic at first. I did this because, at various times throughout this project, I was overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. And I therefore reached out for help. But circumstance and opportunity changes with time which rubs away at the best of intentions. In the end I ended up "going solo" as intended. And, to be honest, it worked out for the best. But I would never attempt this again on the fly (says he who will repeat this mistake no doubt in the near future); proper preparation is vital and essential. 

Plan Everything (except toilet breaks)

Crucial to proper preparation is having a plan to get the momentum under way. During my dim past, I was taught how to prepare instructional lesson plans. First step is drafting the outline plan - bare-bones basic overall aim and conduct of the lesson. Once sorted out, then you prepared your detailed plan breaking down the lesson components into actionable parts; the nitty gritty stuff. This approach has stayed with me lifelong-since. And that's how I've approached this refight project from the moment when I sighed heavily and jumped off the cliff-of-no-return. Over the course of the project, many times over, I have revised and even discarded my gameplan to suit the times and needs of the moment. On the fly might be an accurate description.

Flexibility (not the contortionist kind)

Be flexible in your approach. Nothing is set in stone unless it's your headstone. And will you notice when you're dead? Hardly. Remember if doing this solo, NO ONE CARES! So any expectations or concerns in that regard are a simply a waste of time. What matters is the end-result. Finish what you start. Life's much too short for regrets so they say; bet it was said by someone who regretted their life story.

Summary

To say I am done with this refight is a gross understatement. From start to finish it has consumed a great deal of my time and energy. There were moments when I wanted to burn all the minis: put them in a empty forty galloon and watch them burn and hear their imaginary screams. At other times, I would be left gobsmacked in awe (like those moments when it's you and Mother Nature alone together under the clear night sky in the Southern Alps) and marvel at the fact that this was of my own doing. My very own creation. 

Yes, there is a sense of achievement in finishing it...finally. What began as a simple painting task soon ballooned and blossomed until it took on a life of its own. Right now, it kind of feels like Old Man Fredricksen at Paradise Falls leafing through the album his late wife Ellie left him. And her enduring message: "Thanks for the adventure. Now go and have a new one!"

It has been worth the whole experience - every up and every down. Would I do it again? Nah. Once is enough. But you can never say never; at least that's what a lifelong study of history has taught me. 

Take care.

=========================

No comments:

Post a Comment