Thursday, October 5, 2023

Red River campaign - revisiting the American Civil War

Long ago, back in the late 90s, I ended a solo ACW campaign that grew from two opposing brigades into two veteran corps battling in an alternate timeline. Once completed, and after some lengthy analyses over the subsequent years, I came to an eventual understanding that my fascination with the period had somehow reached its finality. Which surprised me as for as long as I could remembered the ACW was one of the pillars of my wargaming experience ever since I found this hobby as a teen. Now I had somehow reconciled myself to answering why it had held such a fascination for so long. Once that realisation bubbled up into my conscious awareness, I found a relieving sense of peace.

Since then, apart from the occasional flirtation that never materialised into anything concrete or lasting, I have not had any real desire to open up that ACW drawer ever again. Until now. And now it's more a nostalgic trip. And a desire to fulfil to a commitment made to myself a few months back.

So, let's get started.

Firstly, the Red River campaign was an actual historical campaign. Why Red River? The name itself is the obvious attraction. Secondly, it's not as well known as Grant's Vicksburg campaign or Sherman's famous march to Atlanta. I've always enjoyed exploring side alleys and little-travelled paths more interesting anyway. I knew nothing of the campaign. What better place to start.

From memory, I believe I have enough minis to cover both sides for this upcoming short campaign. 

Scale will be 20mm. 

Painting minis will not be an issue - certainly not on the scale of the Borodin refight project. 

But first I need an idea of the exact amount of minis needed for this campaign. Still currently doing research on total numbers for the campaign. Using wikipedia as my start point. Not expecting to venture further beyond wikipedia as it covers well enough the essentials of the campaign. Plus it gives breakdowns on exact numbers per formation.

The ruleset I am interested in (Terry Wise's Airfix #33) is still available online but I am not keen on spending any money if I can avoid it. Still hunting for a free copy somewhere online. If after all that searching I come up empty-handed, I can always fall back on D. F. Featherstone's Wargames rules. Bare basic but certainly doable. And definitely familiar.  I really don't want to devote too much time or effort bringing this short campaign to the table. 

Two main battles were fought in the campaign. Obviously these will be replayed.

Map movement and What-if? The notion of map movements inspired by planned intentions is interesting. And invariably raises notions of what-if. But I have to make a firm decision on whether to run this campaign as just the known battles or play the what-if option. If the former, no need for map movement. If the latter, then "yes". But the latter means greater investment in something that shouldn't be so involved. 

Compiling a suitable list of actions to wargame from the campaign (wikipedia), I've come with enough actions to get this wargames campaign going.

  • Battle of Fort De Russey - March 14, 1864
  • Battle of Henderson's Hill (or Bayou Rapides) - March 21, 1864
  • Battle of Mansfield (Sabine's Crossroads) - April 8, 1864 (major)
  • Battle of Pleasant Hill - April 9, 1864
  • Battle of Blair's Landing - April 12, 1864
  • The Actions near Alexandria - April 24 to May 13, 1864
    • Action at Hudnot's Plantation - April 30, 1864
    • Actions at Wilson's Landing - May 1 & 2, 1854
    • Foraging Party attacked - May 2, 1864
    • Capture of City Belle - May 3, 1864
    • Loss of John Warner, USS Covington, USS Signal - May 4, 1864
  • Battle of Monett's Ferry - April 23, 1864
  • Action of 26-27 April 1864 
  • Battle of Mansura - May 16, 1864 (major)
  • Battle of Yellow Bayou (or Norwood's Plantation) - May 18, 1864
More to follow over the coming weeks. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment